Retiree applicants for firearm qualification, per H.B. 218, must meet the following criteria:
1. Separated from PBSO in good standing.
2. Before separation, employee was engaged in law enforcement or correctional duties and had
power of arrest.
3. Before separation, was regularly employed as a law enforcement or correctional deputy for an
aggregate of 10 years or separated due to service-connected disability.
4. During the most recent 12 month period, has met the State’s standards for training and
qualification for active law enforcement officers.
5. Has not previously been determined by agency as unfit for duty relating to mental health or has
not personally acknowledged in an agreement with the agency that he or she is not qualified
for reasons relating to mental health.
6. Is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance.
7. Is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.
All applicants will complete a Retiree Request for Firearm Qualification form (on this page, below) along with a Liability Waiver and mail to:
Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Training Division
3228 Gun Club Road
West Palm Beach, Fl 33406
Applications may be obtained on the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office website at www.pbso.org (Application [pdf] form below) or in the front lobby at the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Main Building located at 3228 Gun Club Road, West Palm Beach, FL.
There is a $50.00 fee and the check must accompany the application. Make check payable to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
After processing, the applicant will be called by a member of the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Training Division to schedule a date and time for your qualification. All qualifications are done on a Saturday.
Weapon (only 1 weapon per applicant)
Carry Method (i.e. holster, belly bag)
Factory Loaded Ammunition (80 rounds)
Long Pants and closed shoes (no shorts or sandals allowed on range)
All applicants will be afforded a maximum of two attempts on the qualification course. If the applicant fails both tests the applicant will have to schedule another date and time to qualify.