Reserve & Auxiliary Unit...
The Reserve & Auxiliary Unit is comprised of men and women from our community who hold a law enforcement officer or auxiliary law enforcement Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission certification. These dedicated sworn volunteers take an active role in addressing quality of life issues that face our communities within Palm Beach County.
The all-volunteer Reserve and Auxiliary Unit performs duties augmenting patrol and specialized units throughout the agency. The unit supports various initiatives like action plans, special events, and investigations. Some members within the unit are assigned to SWAT, the Drone Unit, SkyWatch, K9, Violent Crimes, District Detective Bureaus, Marine Unit, Airport Operations and the Bike Unit.
WHAT IS A RESERVE DEPUTY SHERIFF
Reserve Deputy Sheriffs are commissioned, sworn volunteer law enforcement officers who hold a Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission certification. Reserve Deputies have the same police academy training requirements and qualifications as full-time deputies along with the same application requirements, and continued training mandates.
WHAT IS AN AUXILIARY DEPUTY
Auxiliary Deputies are sworn volunteers who hold an auxiliary law enforcement Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission certification. Although Auxiliary Deputies have the same application process as full-time and reserve deputies, the auxiliary academy itself is just under 40% of the total full-time law enforcement academy. Auxiliary Deputies have the authority to arrest and perform law enforcement functions ONLY while under the direct supervision, accountability, and control of a full-time or Reserve Deputy Sheriff.
- Must meet all Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) requirements.
- Must meet all PBSO requirements specified in the online assessment.
- 21 years of age
- High School Graduate or GED
- Able to perform the essential functions of the job for which applying with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Internal Candidates – Achieved satisfactory evaluations and favorably completed at least one year of employment unless the position is designated by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office as a critical need position at the time of application.
- Possess a valid Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one.
- Must present proof of automobile insurance upon offer of employment, free from “at fault” accidents or convictions for violation(s) of traffic law to include adjudication withheld for the past twelve (12) months. A good driving record will include no Driver’s License suspensions in the past three (3) years.
- High Liability Training (Guns & Sticks) for 12 weeks, this schedule is flexible but will be day shift only.
- Field Training (FTO) for 13 weeks. This training schedule is flexible and will consist of day and night shifts.
- Generally, Reserve and Auxiliary Deputies are required to serve 16 hours per month (4-hrs credit for attending a bi-monthly meeting). Flexible scheduling of hours is permissible to accommodate monthly requirements.
EQUIVALENCY OF TRAINING FOR RESERVE DEPUTY APPLICANTS (*cost to be covered by applicant):
The equivalency of Training (EOT) process is for Out of State Federal Officers and previously certified Florida Officers with a four-year or more break-in-service pursuant to section 943.131(2), Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) 11B-35.009(4)(5).
The EOT allows an officer to be exempt from having to complete the full basic recruit academy. You may be eligible if you were an officer in another state, with a federal government agency or military police and meet the following requirements:
- At least one year as a full-time sworn officer in the discipline you are seeking exemption;
- Received training in that discipline which is comparable to Florida’s full basic recruit curriculum and/or;
- You were previously certified in the State of Florida.
For more information on Reserve Deputy or Auxiliary Deputy opportunities, call to make an appointment at 561-688-3796 or email us at RESERVE@pbso.org.
Community Services Division
14851 Lyons Rd.
Delray Beach, FL 33446
Main Phone: 561-688-3796
Tom Nadler, Unit Manager
For detailed information on becoming a Reserve or Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff, please click below:
You can become part of the solution by keeping our neighborhoods safe!