School Traffic Safety
Who Are We?
The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office would like to invite you to become part of our school Traffic Safety Unit by becoming a School Crossing Guard. Adult School Crossing Guards play an important role in the community by protecting the lives of school children who walk and bike ride to and from school. Crossing Guards also provide safety awareness and education to the children teaching them safe crossing techniques and educating them on the various pedestrian and bicycle safety laws. Our School Crossing Guards display a high level of competency and proficiency, serving as an inspiration to students, particularly those involved in school safety patrols.
We are seeking those who wish to serve their community, become actively involved in the school safety programs, and who would enjoy a rewarding job experience.
Responsible for the safety and well-being of children while assisting them crossing the street.
Must possess a High School diploma or GED. Must be at least 18 years of age, of good character, dependable, and have a neat appearance. Must be in good physical condition with the ability to see, hear and respond to children while in the performance of their duties. Must have the ability to recognize potentially dangerous traffic situations and warn/manage students in sufficient time to avoid injury. The Florida Department of Transportation training course requires passing the written test with a minimum of 75% and passing the field practical training with 100%. Ability to control a “STOP” paddle effectively to provide approaching road users with a clear, fully directed view of the paddle’s message during the entire crossing movement. Ability to stand and walk without rest for a minimum of 60 minutes. Ability to communicate specific instructions clearly, firmly and courteously. Ability to stand and walk without rest for a minimum of 60 minutes. Able to function in all weather conditions. Must possess a smartphone. Able to speak, read and understand the English Language. Must possess an overall sense of responsibility for the safety of the students.
Various locations throughout the county.
Consists of a morning shift and an afternoon shift based on school schedules. Double shifts (working two school posts) are available.
- Excellent starting salary with cost of living increases.
- Florida Retirement System Benefits
- Access to the “Wellness Center”
- Symetra part-time employee health insurance (Minimum Essential Coverage Plan) paid by the Sheriff.
- In the top menu, go to Careers, Recent Job Opportunities
- Look for “School Guard” under Job Title and click “Apply Now.”
- This will take you to the “Login” page.
- Register with all your information.
- Continue following the prompts within the iRecruitment system to complete your application.
- Contact Information: HRCustomerService@pbso.org – Phone: 561-688-3540
3228 Gun Club Rd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
“Assisting the youth for a safer and happier school day.”
– PBSO School Traffic Safety Unit