A Reserve Deputy is a non-employee volunteer holding Basic Law Enforcement Recruit Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission (CJSTC) certification who is a fully certified law enforcement deputy sheriff, having authority to arrest and perform law enforcement functions without direct supervision.
Responsible for the protection of life and property and enforcement of laws and ordinances. The position requires considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of police work including: knowledge of first-aid methods, ability to act reasonably without direct supervision, ability to observe situations analytically and objectively, ability to report and record situations clearly and completely, ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and a demographically diverse public.
• Must meet all Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) requirements.
• Must meet all PBSO requirements specified in the online assessment.
• 21 years of age
• High School Graduate or GED
• Able to perform the essential functions of the job for which applying with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Internal Candidates – Achieved satisfactory evaluations and favorably completed at least one year of employment unless position is designation by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office as a critical need position at the time of application.
• Possess a valid Driver’s License
• Must present proof of automobile insurance upon offer of employment, free from “at fault” accidents or convictions for violation(s) of traffic law to include adjudication withheld for the past twelve (12) months. A good driving record will include no Driver’s License suspensions in the past three (3) years.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Candidate applying for this position must be willing and able to successfully complete the following:
- High Liability Training (Guns & Sticks) for 6 consecutive weeks involving four (4) 10 hour days and Classroom (Pen & Paper) for 4 consecutive weeks involving five (5) 8 hour days. The above outlined training schedule will be on the day shift only.
- Field Training (FTO) for 13 weeks. This training is flexible.
- SELECTION PROCESS: Failure to successfully pass any of the steps specified below will result in applicant disqualification. Review of prior employment records will be conducted.
- EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION:
- SCREENING OF APPLICATION – Ensures each candidate meets our agency’s minimum requirements and standards.
- PRE-BACKGROUND CHECKS (HireRight Company) – Driver’s license, Credit Check, military and criminal history checks
- ORAL INTERVIEW
- INTAKE OF DOCUMENTS
- CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT
- MEDICAL EXAMINATION AND DRUG SCREENING
- PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION
- BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION – In accordance with Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office and Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) standards.
- FINAL OFFER OF EMPLOYEMENT –
Applicant with disability who require accommodation within the application/interview process should direct a request in advance to Human Resources.
- SELECTION PROCESS: Oral Board Interview which will constitute 100% of the final pass/fail selection weight. All offers of employment to external applicants and internal part-time to full-time or civilian to sworn candidates are also subject to and contingent upon successful completion of the CVSA/polygraph, background investigation, pre-employment physical examination and drug screening.Applicants with a disability who require accommodation within the application/interview process should direct a request in advance to Human Resources.
- DATE, TIME, AND LOCATION: Testing, when required, will be conducted in Human Resources at a date and time to be announced. The date, times, and location of the interview process to be announced, in writing, by the hiring division.