Reserve Unit Overview
The Reserve Unit is made up of dedicated volunteers who assist and augment the personnel of the Sheriff’s Office with everything from road patrol to specialized units, such as Narcotics, Community Policing, Marine Unit, Mounted Unit, kids programs, DUI checkpoints, special events and many other areas.
The Reserve Deputy Sheriffs are active members of the community who are trained to act in a limited manner as a Deputy Sheriff. They receive ongoing training in all aspects of law enforcement functions and work alongside of Deputies.
The Reserve Unit is a volunteer program geared toward those community members who take an active role in the safety of Palm Beach County and the people who live, work, and visit here. It takes a genuine, long-term commitment to be a Reserve Deputy Sheriff with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.
One of the greatest rewards of this program is an ability to have a direct impact on the crime and other quality of life issues within unincorporated Palm Beach County neighborhoods.
You can become a part of the solution to keeping our neighborhoods safe!
- Must be 21 years of age Must be a United States citizen
- Must be a High School Graduate or have a GED
- Must have a solid, stable work history, free of repeated disciplinary actions, suspensions, terminations and resignations
- Must be free from convictions involving domestic violence
- Must be free from any felony convictions
- Must be free from convictions and violations pertaining to Florida Department of Law Enforcement guidelines
- Must be free from any misdemeanor convictions that involve perjury or false statements
- Must be free from convictions or pleads of nolo contendere to any 1st or 2nd degree misdemeanors within the last three years
- Must not have been dishonorably discharged from any of the Armed Forces of the United States
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s License
- Must present proof of automobile insurance upon offer of employment
- Must be free from “at fault” accidents or convictions for violation(s) of traffic laws, including adjudication withheld for the past twelve (12) months
- Must have a good driving record, which will include no Driver’s License suspensions in the past five (5) years
- Must not have regularly used tobacco products (i.e., cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco referred to as chewing tobacco and snuff, or any other tobacco related product) for at least one (1) year immediately preceding application for employment
- Have not used marijuana in the one (1) year prior to employment application submission; all other illegal drug use in the three (3) years prior to employment application submission
- Must possess a valid Florida Law Enforcement or Auxilliary Certification or must be willing to successfully complete an academy to earn such certification
A Reserve Deputy Sheriff is responsible for the protection of life and property, enforcement of laws and ordinances, and related duties.
The position requires:
- Considerable knowledge of modern principles and practices of law enforcement work
- Knowledge of first aid methods
- The ability to perform all related duties as assigned
- The ability to act reasonably without direct supervision
- The ability to observe situations analytically and objectively
- The ability to report and record situations clearly and completely
- The ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations
- The ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and a demographically diverse public
- An understanding that this line of work has an element of personal danger
For more information on Reserve Deputy or Auxiliary Deputy opportunities, call to make an appointment at (561)688-4088 or email us at Reserve@pbso.org