Reporting a Financial Crime

Information on how to report different types of financial crimes:

The crime of Forgery/Uttering a Forged Instrument occurs wherever the document (check, credit card slip, other document) was either signed and/or passed. The offense must be reported to the agency with jurisdiction over that location. Contact then needs to be made with the financial institution to have an investigation initiated.

Worthless/NSF Checks
Complaints may be filed directly with:

Palm Beach County State Attorney Bad Check Restitution Program -
PMB 171, 6901 W. Okeechobee Blvd. #D5, West Palm Beach, FL 33411

The paperwork can be obtained at any of the District Offices.
If you have any questions call 800-462-3756.

Internet Fraud

In most cases the crime occurs where moneys are received. A report should be made with the Law Enforcement agency of jurisdiction where the moneys are received. Contact can also be made with the Attorney Generals Office, the FBI, and the Postal Inspectors Office (if the crime occurred utilizing the U.S. Postal Service). File a report with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center at:

Identity Theft
1. A report needs to be filed with the jurisdiction of residency, to obtain a case number to provide any other agency as needed.
2. After obtaining a law enforcement agency case number, contact one of the three credit reporting agencies and file an identity theft report with them, and place a fraud alert on your credit reports.

  • Experian 1-800-525-6285, and write P.O. Box 74021, Atlanta GA 30374-0241
  • Equifax 1-888-397-3742, and write, P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
  • Trans Union.1-800-680-7289 and write: Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P. O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

Other complaints of Financial Crimes

1. Stolen checks. If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts fraudulently set up, report the theft of checks to the law enforcement agency where the theft occurred. Then immediately report the theft to your bank and provide them the case number from law enforcement.

2. ATM cards. If your ATM card has been stolen or compromised, report the complaint to the law enforcement agency of occurrence, obtain a case number and immediately contact your bank.

3. Fraudulent change of address. Notify the local Postal Inspector if you suspect an identity thief has filed a change of your address with the post office or has used the mail to commit credit or bank fraud.

4. Number misuse. Call the Social Security Administration to report fraudulent Social Security use of your Social Security number.

5. Phone service. If your long distance calling card has been stolen or you discover fraudulent charges on your bill, contact your telephone company.

6. Drivers license number misuse. Contact the state Office of the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to see if another license was issued in your name. Put a fraud alert on your license.

<< Go Back